Great Value Colleges is a proud supporter of expanding your educational horizons, especially if that means learning a new language or getting a foreign language degree. According to the 2003 National Survey of College Graduates, 81.5 percent of recent graduates who majored in foreign languages were employed, and most of that percentage were employed full-time. Employees are also often paid more if they can speak a second language.
Are you wondering what type of job you may find by majoring in a second language? Well, of all of the corporations in the United States, one-third are either owned or based abroad. Also, according to Go Government, the demand for foreign language skills is so high (and even higher, depending on the language) that the government is willing to repay up to $10,000 per year of your student loans. So, if you’re into saving money, pick up a major or minor in a foreign language, and let Great Value Colleges help pay the way.
Great Value Schools Scholarship Requirements:
- Be attending or accepted at an accredited post-secondary U.S. institution (undergraduate or graduate).
- Be a U.S. Citizen as verified by a U.S. passport, birth certificate, or other methods seen here.
- Be a resident of Texas.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Print and complete the scholarship application form.
- Submit a 1000-1500 word essay that describes your experience majoring or minoring in a foreign language and explains why you’ve chosen that major/minor, any challenges you’ve faced and how you plan to utilize this major/minor in your occupational and personal future.
- Application Deadlines: July 15 (fall award); November 15 (spring award).
- Winners will be notified by email.
- Awardee will be selected based on the motivation to learn a foreign language and goals for utilizing the foreign language degree as described in his/her essay, as well as the significance of the connection between the foreign language major or minor and his/her education.
Contact/Application Submission Information:
- Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. To avoid processing issues, please zip all your attachments into one file and attach to one email.