At Great Value Colleges, we understand how daunting it might be to become the first college graduate within your family. Even with today’s stigma of the need to obtain a college degree for a good job, many families around the country lack college graduates for various reasons, such as cost, time, beliefs, a family business or trade, other demands in life, etc. Regardless of the reason, we want to help you become the first in your family to get to and through college.
According to ImFirst.org, first-generation students “drop out of college four times the rate of their peers whose parents have a postsecondary education.” While the rest of our resources at Great Value Colleges are created to provide answers to your many questions about the college experience, we would like to provide an additional reward of $1500 to put money toward your college career.
Great Value Schools Scholarship Requirements:
- Be attending or accepted at an accredited post-secondary U.S. institution (undergraduate or graduate).
- Be a U.S. Citizen as verified by a U.S. passport, birth certificate, or other methods seen here.
- Be a resident of Florida.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher.
- Print and complete the scholarship application form.
- Submit a 1000-1500 word essay that describes your experience as a first-generation college student, any challenges you’ve faced as a first-generation student and how you are overcoming those challenges and remaining motivated to complete your degree. If you are a high school student and have yet to complete any college credit, please describe what it would mean to you and your family to be a first-generation college student, what challenges you think you may face during your college career and how you plan to stay motivated to attain your degree.
- Application Deadlines: July 15 (fall award); November 15 (spring award).
- Winners will be notified by email.
- Awardee will be selected based on the motivation to complete his/her college degree as described in his/her essay, and the significance of the connection between the experience and his/her education.
Contact/Application Submission Information:
- Email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. To avoid processing issues, please zip all your attachments into one file and attach to one email.